Voting Requirements

Voting Requirements: 

If you have voted within the last 4 years and NOT MOVED you are already registered. 

To register before the Election: 

Open registration is available up to 20 days prior to an election by filling out a voter registration application and delivering it by person or by mail to the Ely City Clerks Office at 209 E Chapman St, Ely, MN 55731.


Online at Register to Vote

To Register on Election Day: 

To register at your polling place on Election Day, bring one proof of residence listed below. 

  •  ID with current name and address
    • Valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit or ID; or a receipt for any of these.
    • Tribal ID with name, address, photo and signature.
  • Photo ID and a document with current name and address
Approved photo IDs (choose one)
The ID can be expired.
  • Driver's license, state ID or learner’s permit issued by any state
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Military or Veteran ID
  • Tribal ID with name, signature and photo
  • Minnesota university, college or technical college ID
  • Minnesota high school ID
Approved documents (choose one)
Can be shown on electronic device.
  • Bill, account or start-of-service statement due or dated within 30 days of the election for:
    • Phone, TV or internet
    • Solid waste, sewer, electric, gas or water
    • Banking or credit card
    • Rent or mortgage
  • Residential lease or rent agreement valid through Election Day
  • Current student fee statement
  • Vouching

A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. A registered voter can confirm the addresses for up to eight voters. If someone vouched for you, you cannot vouch for others.

  • College student ID with housing list

Colleges and universities send election officials a student housing list. If you are on the list, show your college photo ID to complete your registration.

  • Valid registration in the same precinct

If you were previously registered in the same precinct but changed names or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the election judge your previous name or address.

  • Notice of Late Registration

If you registered to vote within 20 days of the election, you may get a Notice of Late Registration in the mail. Bring it with you and use it as your proof of residence to register.

  • Residential Facility Residents 

If you live in a residential facility, a staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your address. There is no limit on how many of the residents’ addresses a staff person can confirm.

The staff person must prove their employment at the facility. There are several ways to do this, including by showing an employee badge. Learn More